Author Topic: Can't see main menu  (Read 5223 times)

PerryBond

• View Profile
Can't see main menu
« on: January 06, 2021, 05:54:48 pm »
New user, sure I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see the main menu (File, Edit, View ect.)
I have the quick access toolbar and the ribbon with a few icons on it and the model screen and layout tab with the command window at the bottom.

babadmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't see main menu
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 07:03:01 pm »
No more old-style menu (File,Edit...) which can be found on old BabaCAD 32-bit versions before 2017. BabaCAD 64-bit has a modern ribbon-style menu with categories like Home,Insert,Annotation,View,Tools,Lisp. Each category has specific panel groups with icons and commands (Home category is used to be the main drawing menu and it has about 30-40 command buttons/dropdown lists/icons). File open/save and print commands/menu can be accessed from Quick Access Toolbar or clicking on BabaCAD App Icon on the upper-left corner.

If you see BabaCAD looks like in screenshot (BabaCAD Home Edition v2018/v2020) placed at the bottom of the first page on main website (https://www.babacad.com), than that's it. Otherwise, if you see just a few icons like you say, it just can't be (or maybe you mistakenly  installed some other software, not BabaCAD).

Also, there is a quick way to start any BabaCAD command by using new dynamic-input with auto-complete feature. Just start to type command while you have mouse cursor in the workspace. List of BabaCAD commands (starting with the letter you just typed) will appear and you can select the command by pressing down/up arrow keys or press 'Enter' to choose highlighted command from the list.

There are few settings (Object Snap, Tracking lines On/Off, Model/Layout switching, Dynamic-input and grid On/Off) which can be found  at the bottom of the BabaCAD application window (orange toggle buttons and OSnap popup button with click on down-arrow).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:37:45 pm by babadmin »

PerryBond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 07:35:43 pm »
OK, so I want to print a specific area, not sure how to do this, so I go to help. It states:
Plotting / printing
There are three commands for managing plotting / printing:

PerryBond

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:29 pm »
Plotting / printing

There are three commands for managing plotting / printing:

menu option File -> Plot plots/prints chosen Layout to the ploter/printer

menu option File -> Plot Preview View on output before plotting/printing

menu option File -> Plot Setup Settings of plotting/printing

PerryBond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 07:43:20 pm »
I'm now assuming that's out of date.
I have three rectangles, inside each of them I have a drawing, /=I want to print each one; how do I specify the rectangle as a layout?

babadmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 07:44:03 pm »
Plot in BabaCAD is explained with all details in video tutorial ('How To Plot Your Drawing in BabaCAD') which can be found on Tutorials link on website main page: https://www.babacad.com/tutorials.html

To specify your rectangle as a layout for printing, first must go to Layout view (click on Layout tab at the bottom or click MODEL/PAPER switch toggle button on the bottom of app window). Also, be sure that your Model is active (double click inside of viewport rectangle or click MODEL/PAPER switch, and your mouse cursor will change to crosshair cursor). You can use mouse scroll (middle) button to zoom in/out to find your rectangle in model or you can use ZOOM command (use Zoom/Window option) to select your rectangle to zoom to it. There are few commands in [View] category to set page layout,plotter settings and to add more viewports to your layout. Multiple viewports can be used in your case, so you can have three viewport rectangles on the same page to plot (you can zoom in/out and pan/move drawing elements inside each of viewports idependently). Also you can use PLOTSCALE (can be found in [View] menu) to print in specific scale (ex. R 1:2, R 1:10..., by just typing scale factor after command PLOTSCALE, explained in detailed in mentioned video tutorial).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:02:14 pm by babadmin »

PerryBond

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 08:51:41 pm »
Thank you. I am impressed with your quick and detailed reply. It is late here in the UK and I've had some wine, so will watch the video and follow your comments tomorrow.
Thanks again, I am honestly impressed.

babadmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 12:25:59 am »
You're welcome. Thank you for using BabaCAD. I don't have wine here, but I have some pepsi in the fridge. It's raining here in Sarajevo, but ideal evening for watching movies and #stayathome :)